Forum home Fruit & veg

Are these squashes or pumpkins? (And how to ripen them?)

Hi all

These were supposed to be squashes; uchiki kuri I think.  But the seeds were from Premier Seeds and we've found quite a lot of late that the seeds in the pack don't match the labels on the pack!  

I'm thinking they look quite like pumpkins but they are not round as more traditional pumpkins are.  Obviously still quite green too...  It's hard to gauge size from photos, so:  the three together are each the size of a decent honeydew melon, whilst the one on its own is around the size of a rugby ball.

Can anyone confirm what they are?  

And any tips on how best to ripen them (or whether they can be used unripened if it's too late in the year now)?  

Many thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,288
    edited November 2020
    How big are they?  They look more like marrows. Have you tried cooking and eating one?  They don’t look a storing type. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• January ManJanuary Man Posts: 196
    edited November 2020

Hi

The three together are each the size of a decent honeydew melon, whilst the one on its own is around the size of a rugby ball.

They've been out there at that size for months now, so I suspect a marrow would have either continued to grow or rotted by now.  Whatsmore, are marrows simply large courgettes?  If so, the plant itself (leaf, growing habit, etc) was far more squash like than courgette like.  

Thanks for the response :)  

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,726
    They look like they could be delicious stuffed ;) 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,005
    I would say they may be spaghetti squash, The vines are dead so they need harvesting whatever they are.  You say they have looked like that for a while, that probably means they are finished and that is the final colour, are the skins hard? If so I would cut one in half scoop out the seeds and bake it in the oven, then see if it is like a spaghetti squash or not. if it is.. dinner done, if it isn't dinner is still done!

• They look like they could be delicious stuffed ;) 
    Haha - yes, I look forward to eating them :)  

@Skandi - I'm pretty certain they are not spaghetti squash as we grew some of them this year in the same bed and they were not the same.  In terms of looking the same, they have turn that yellowy/green only in the last few weeks - which is what started to make me wonder if they're pumpkins of some sort.   Yes, the skins are hard.

You are probably right about just opening one up and cooking and finding out that way.  Just didn't want to be premature and waste one seeing as we only have four.  

Thanks for the replies