Forum home Fruit & veg

Blossom on peach tree

Hi all, I’ve just moved our container growing peregrine peach under cover to try and avoid leaf curl and have realised it’s about  to burst into blossom. Should I just remove all of the blossom?  Does this mean it then won’t produce flowers in spring?

thanks! 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,513
    I've found the same on my two nectarine plants which were moved into the polytunnel 3 weeks ago when cold nights were forecast.     Since then we've had a warm spell and especially warm nights and both are producing flower buds so we're leaving the door open so pollinators can get in.  Just to be sure, I may go round with a soft paint brush and pollinate them myself.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks @Obelixx ours is currently in an unheated greenhouse (it spends may- October outside) but is in the bad books as it didn’t produce any blossom or this year - until now 😂
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,513
    Be kind then and keep it fed and watered while it has blossom.

It's been a confusing year for many plants.   We have 2 new pear trees in our fruit and veg plot and one lost all its leaves in this summer's heatwave and drought.  After watering copiously it produced both new leaves and blossom in early September and then tried to make fruit.  I removed those to save energy and hope it will be OK to blossom again in spring.

I also have a hamamelis in bloom while its leaves are doing their autumn display.  Very odd.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • My quince is also confused this year. I experimented and pruned it in August instead of Jan., to see if it improved its fruiting. It started dropping its leaves a few weeks ago when I noticed it had flowers on it. They have been blown off by the storms we are having so hopefully it will settle down and flower again in the Spring. It flowered where the new shoots had developed from my pruning so I am not sure what to expect
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,089
    I have a few blossoms on an early japanese plum (normally Feb) and most of the apple and pear trees have also produced late blooms, many following normal summer pruning as with @Joyce Goldenlily   My experience in previous years is that those particular spurs won't bloom again in spring, so I would try hand-pollinating any fruit tree which lives in a greenhouse and is blossoming, some may set.
    Unless every fruit bud has burst, you should still get some blossom in spring and which is far more likely to be able to pollinate successfully.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,999
    One of our blueberry bushes is bursting into flower.☹️
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.