Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

RIP Sean Connery

End of an era, no doubt.

• LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,068
    A legend
    I’ve no idea what I’m doing. 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023
    Just seen that, he was 90. Still the best ever James Bond.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • And a tax exile with the odd dodgy property deal and a fair few problematic statements about women.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139
    edited October 2020
    Sean Connery...  The only real Bond, IMHO ... but Bond is a dinosaur too  :/ 

I love this

" .... In 2009, Connery recalled a conversation in a taxi:

When I took a taxi during a recent Edinburgh Film Festival, the driver was amazed that I could put a name to every street we passed. "How come?" he asked. "As a boy I used to deliver milk round here," I said. "So what do you do now?" That was rather harder to answer...." Extract from Wiki

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FireFire Posts: 19,092
    The idea was just to mark his passing, not to use it as an opportunity to rip him up or to score points.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,491
    I thought he was brilliant - the best and only Bond for me. His accent was to die for.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012
    He was a person of his times and it's ridiculous to apply the standards expected today to people of that generation. 
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,712
    Though I fundamentally agree with you about being easily upset Philippa, the other side of that coin is that we are now more sensitive about giving offence and folk are far less willing to accept the dismissive justification ‘can’t you take a joke?’

A few decades ago - I remember it well in the school playground and, to a smaller extent, in the workplace - racist, sexist or homophobic teasing and banter went unchallenged. People are now willing to call out such language. The world is unquestionably better as a result. I do not find it acceptable or excusable to tolerate someone’s inappropriate language or, worse, actions on the grounds of their advance age. Unless the brain is impaired by dementia or similar we are all capable of learning and changing in my view. That said, applying the standards of 2020 to what one said in 1970 is crossing a divide possibly unfairly.
    Rutland, England
  • sarinkasarinka Posts: 270
    Not sure about the product of his times angle  My grandads were both his contemporaries and neither of them ever raised a hand to a woman.

His comments are disturbing, and so is the testimony of his first wife about being beaten unconscious by him.