Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Nothing to do with gardening - mystery kitchen equipment

B3B3 Posts: 27,472
I found this in a kitchen  cupboard  only accessible  by steps
The base is some kind of plastic and the upper  side looks like nonstick metal frying pan .
I was wondering if it might be something to crisp food in a microwave  but I'm  loath to experiment for obvious reasons.
Can anyone identify it?
Whatever  it is, it mustn't  have worked or it wouldn't be in kitchen Siberia  

In London. Keen but lazy.

• Is it metal or plastic? It looks like a plant pot saucer. Strange that it has no handle if its a cooking utensil.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 3,162
    I have virtually the same tray in my 20+ year old microwave (Whirlpool). Same circular patterns on the 'rubbery/plastic' base, and six feet. Mine looks a bit more battered though!
    UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,472
    It's a handleless frying pan with a plastic base. Might use it as a pot saucer. @ valley gardener. Good idea if Steve reckons it's not for for purpose😊
    Do to use yours? @steveTu. What's it called so I can Google for warnings😮 my microwave is quite new and I'd rather not explode it.
    I have two - an original Whirlpool one and a similar, smaller one that must have either been bought when the original started to lose its coating or came with some other set. Both work fine (although I hardly use a microwave anyway - apart from making my milky coffee!). The Whirlpool version has a handle - the 'lip' round the pan isn't fully bent over (if you see what I mean) - so there's a slight gap between the lip and the pan side that two prongs on the handle clip under. I'm not on my normal drive at the moment - but I'll upload a photo when I go back to my Linux drive (just upgrading my Windows set up - not sure why as I never use windows anyway!)
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    Surely they wouldn't make anything of metal to go in a microwave?
    edited October 2020
    Insane eh? The Whirlpool is a combi - and also has a grill - and the pans work in any mode. It even has a metal 'stand' to raise the pan higher towards the grill - and you can use the grill in a combination of microwave/grill mode to quickly cook and crisp stuff. Oddly, I can't make my milky coffee in my Spurs mug though as the metal 'paint' on the mug makes the microwave arc. Maybe the pans are aluminium or some such? Who knows....

Crisp - reminds me of a Christmas we had a fair few years back - dinner had gone well and we had trifle and Christmas pud to follow. My wife put the pud in the microwave and mistook the seconds for minutes and blasted the thing at full pelt until the smell of crisp, burning pud reached the dining room.

Edited to add: You both had me doubting - so I just put both pans in the microwave - on top of  the stand - and set the microwave to 1000w and ....... it trundled on perfectly ok.

• josusa47 said:
    Surely they wouldn't make anything of metal to go in a microwave?
    We have a Neff micorwave that doubles as an oven (we never us that function) and, when reheating liquids you have to put a spoon in it. I assume this is for even heat distribution. But yes, it is totally counter intuitive.
    I don't use the grill or conventional oven on mine. I can't see how you could clean it properly. 
    The instruction booklet wasn't encouraging - something about steam.
    In fact i only use it for defrosting or heating stuff out of the freezer or cooking peas.
    edited October 2020
    I still prefer the pot saucer idea but thank you for clearing up the mystery😊
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,841
    It is called a microwave crisper. There is probably a lid for it somewhere in Siberia. As usual there are youtube videos available.