Forum home The potting shed

dutch iris - compost question

I bought some dutch iris bulbs and want to put them in a pot. Can i use bulb fibre mixed with john innes number 3 and some grit? Thats what I have left at home. I don't want to go to the nursery again if i don't have to, always spend to much money:-)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,415
    I think that’ll do well 👍 Plant them about 5” deep and they’ll be fine. Enjoy 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,280
    Yes  - anything well drained will do. They don't last for many years anyway, so enjoy.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• katrinkempkatrinkemp KentPosts: 74
    thanks @Fairygirl and @Dovefromabove It’s a big old pot, do you think i can squeeze 10 bulbs in or do they need space and i only put 5 in?🙏🏻
    What do you mean by big? 
    You can cram bulbs in a bit tighter in pots than in the ground anyway  :)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,415
    I really cram bulbs into pots ... as long as they’re not touching they’ll be fine. If a pot is deep enough I often plant a double layer with the second layer between the ‘noses’ of the first .., that looks amazing. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I do that too @Dovefromabove. I'd say a twelve inch pot would easily take ten bulbs, but it's difficult to be accurate without knowing what size of bulb [some are bigger as they're better quality and more expensive ] and what shape of pot.  :)

• katrinkempkatrinkemp KentPosts: 74
    It’s a 12 inch round pot, i knew you can cram tulips in but wasn’t sure about iris. you have been very helpful-I’ll throw them all in:-)
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Watch out for the round bodied Black beetles that get on them. I sadly had to stop growing them as they were always infested. Hope you have more luck as they are a lovely splash of colour. I grew them in the garden though.