Forum home Plants

Begonia White Cascade Overwintering advice please

I have successfully grown, for the first time, Begonia White Cascade in a hanging basket this year.  My question is what do I do with it now?  Do I leave them in the basket but in a dry sheltered area (Do I cut the dying leaves?) or just bin them and start again next year?  
Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,535
    Usual advice is to lift the corm carefully and dry it off inside and keep it somewhere dry (but not warm) and frost proof until next spring. You will find the leaves/stems just fall off after a few weeks.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,182
    I don't know this particular begonia, but I grow mine in two plastic window boxes. After they have been frosted and the leaves blacken, I pull of the vegetation off and I just put the window boxes inside a shed, as they are. Then after the frosts I bring them back into the garden in sun - to get the foliage going. For the rest of the summer they live in a dark side return and brighten things up no end. Every year I wonder if the tubers will make it through and every year they do. They go strong from about July until the frosts - mine are going great guns now.

I know people are snotty about begonias, but by god they are good value -  take no looking after, come back every year and they grow (essentially) in the dark.

• That is very helpful. Thank you
    I agree with how easy they are, I shall follow your instructions so fingers crossed for next year 🤞