Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Looking for suitable suggestions for method(s) of storing pig manure.

A few months ago I identified a local source for pig manure. In my experience pig manure is not easy to source. I am informed that farmers tend to retain it for their own use on the land.

I've been collecting the pig manure in plastic sacks. There is no straw with it.

I mix it with water, and use it as an 'activator' on my large composter-about once per week. A layer of 'plant waste material' and a layer of pig slurry, and so on.

The supply is free, but there is no way of knowing when it may cease. So basically  I am collecting it as often as it is available.

What would be a better method of storage than a load of plastic sacks? I also kind of think that leaving it in a big heap to leach away is not ideal. All suggestions welcome-especially creative ones.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139
    edited October 2020
    I’d add it to a compost heap, or mix it with straw, stack it up and cover with a tarpaulin. 

Shame it’s not mixed with straw ... doesn’t sound like a high welfare set up 😞

I’m a former pig farmer’s daughter 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• WilderbeastWilderbeast Posts: 1,415
    @Dovefromabove have you collapsed mid post 🤣
    🤣  @Wilderbeast Just a case of posting on a jumpy phone. 🙄 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FireFire Posts: 19,092
    I understand that pigs are omnivores (can include meat waste in their diet) and therefore their manure is much less straight forward (to use) than cows or horses - potentially containing more pathogens etc.

I would do some research on that farm's conditions, husbandry practices, the pigs' diet, using and storing pig waste.
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast Posts: 1,415
    While pigs are indeed omnivours no livestock on the UK should be fed any meat products, its been illegal for quite a while due to the bse and foot &mouth outbreaks. Pig manure should be a good addition to  the garden it needs time to breakdown before putting on the garden, it should have much less weed seeds as they aren't fed grass based diets. 

• I’m a former pig farmer’s daughter 😊 
    You sound like a ghost.

Just ready for Halloween Haunting.  :)
    “Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”
    👻🐖

@philippasmith2 ... anyone doubting you simply has to google 'Robert Picton' 😱😱😱
    Not for the faint-hearted tho'.

But no pig meat reared in the UK nowadays will have been anywhere near any meat products.  

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    We store horse manure at the allotment in builders dumpy bags.  We cover them in tarpaulins (which are waterproof), so no rain can get in.  They are fairly inexpensive to buy, and can hold lots.  You can also stack them if space is tight, although probably not more than 2 high.