Forum home Plants

What's been growing with my lilies?

Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453
Hello
Any thoughts on this pretty purply-blue flower that's been growing in a tub of lilies? 
Also will the pot be ok on the patio for the winter? We normally hide the lily pots under the deck for the winter but then they can get leggy when they sprout in the spring before we remember to bring them out
Thanks 

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,296
    Looks like a lobelia to me
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,902
    Looks like a lobelia, the type often used for pots and hanging baskets, probably a trailing one.  

Does the pot have drainage holes?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453
    Just googled lobelia and that looks right - how do I not recognise these common flowers??
    Yes the tub has drainage holes. We have 5 pots of lilies this year after I divided two very congested pots, so more to consider this winter.  My husband says they're more vulnerable in pots than in the ground but I'm not sure really 
    Not sure about the hardiness of lilies up there ... where's @Fairygirl?  She's more likely to be able to help on that one ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,435
    They're fine  :)
    As long as the ground's well drained.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453
    Being on the coast we don't tend to get too harsh winter weather,  and they've managed 5 years up here so far, albeit under the deck :) 

Not sure that lobelia is a winter flower though,  so now I've cut the lilies back it might just shiver a bit! 
    The frost will kill it 
    Yes, bedding lobelia isn't frost hardy.  

I've just realised it's the same plant as has been living in this windowbox for years, though the new one is healthier :) 
    I put it in the greenhouse over winter and it flowers for much of that time, has a snooze in the spring and then flowers all summer till next spring. 
    Just as well I remembered because this year I put it in a bed to get more colour there - might have forgotten all about it! 
    The mallow that's in there would be fine but the pelargonum would definitely not like it outside! 

I had one survive the mild winter last year totally unprotected ;)