Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Strawberry Mount Everest

Hi Folks

Amateur gardener here.  Anyone grow strawberry Mount Everest in UK?

Eddie

• edhelkaedhelka Posts: 2,351
    I've had them for two years now, what do you want to know?
  • Hello Edhelka

Thank you for responding. I keep mine in a greenhouse, planted them from bare root this year.  There are two things I would like to know.

Firstly, do they require watering throughout the winter?
    Secondly, to me not as straight forward. As the plant produces runners and the runners sprout leaves, to what extent do I have to trim the runners and leaves?, as they are mean't to grow up to a couple of feet.

Eddie

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    Why are they in a greenhouse? 
    Strawberries are very hardy  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
    Yes, why are they in the greenhouse? It can make sense for maincrop strawberries if you want an earlier harvest but ME are late fruiting/everbearing so it doesn't make much sense.
    I have them outside so no watering during autumn, winter and early spring. They would need some watering in a greenhouse.
    I remove the runners because where I have them, they would get too messy quickly. But many sources recommend keeping the runners so it's up to you. I am thinking about trying it for some plants next year.
  • BigladBiglad Posts: 3,265
    edited October 2020
    I try and propagate as many new plants as possible from the runners. However, last couple of weeks I've cut off any runners as they're not showing much inclination to root and I'd sooner the mother plants put their energy into stronger roots and growth at this stage of the year. 

Another vote for leaving them outside for the winter.
    East Lancs
    The idea is to let the runners on and letting the mother plant to support both itself and also all the runners hanging in the air (in a hanging basket or a tall planter). But given how little soil is usually in a hanging basket and how quickly it can dry out, I think this way of growing them could be very high maintenance. I have them in hanging baskets and in window boxes. I had them in a raised bed before (hanging over the edge) but woodlice and ants got to them.
    Do they really grow to 2 foot in height ? 
    Normal size, somewhat hanging/trailing and very long runners.
    Is the flavour good ?
    Very good.
    I have a photo. But these were a bit neglected.

• Thank you edhelka for your response and to the others.  My strawberries are 'under cover' as it can get very windy where I am. As ME grow vertically the slugs can't get to them.

Some of my other flowers are also under cover during the spring/summer as strong winds can blow off the petals and I am not allowing the weather ruin my efforts.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    Being vertical won't stop slugs - they climb very readily.  :)
    They climb our house walls here - despite it being covered in crushed shell. 

Are you on an island further north/west? I have a very windy garden too, but strawberries certainly aren't affected, even if other plants often are. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    mine are growing up a tripod, they're currently 3 foot tall and fruiting at that level and are sending more runners out from that point, so they'll be even higher by next year. decent sized fruits and nice tasting for a late variety