Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Chiltern s seeds

Has any members used the discount codes for chilterns seeds?

I had  a code 45% off to be used before end of the month.I copy and paste it , the code came into the code box on the order from ( but nothing happened ,) it didn't make any difference to the total .
 Please Has anyone else used these type of discount codes for
chiltern s or is it a con ?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617
    Where did you get the code from?
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    Some don't work because of the place you get them from. They can be very hit and miss.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,712
    I don’t see it as a con that it didn’t work more a bonus if it does. Chiltern seeds clearly advertise their prices but what would be a con was if there was a banner headline on their website saying ‘45% off this week’. I bet there wasn’t. I bet the 45% off enticement came from some third party agency such as Deals Cove. Before I buy things online I often check these sites to see if a discount is on offer. 10 to 15% is standard and 45% is extreme; probably 9 times in 10 they don’t work. If they do, as I say, it is a bonus.
    Rutland, England
  • When I put my order a couple of months back also looked for codes, none of them worked but I think their pricing is not in any way extortionate and in a tough year for smaller businesses it's worth patronising them. You can always make your order a bit smaller, discounts are fine but at the same time we should be prepared to pay a decent price for good quality or they won't be around when we next need them. Same with Peter Nyssen, don't begrudge paying full price as their quality is usually exceptional.  Also if I remember correctly Chiltern do have a late September sale for two weeks but not sure if they did this year. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,933
    It was Hot Deals  I think
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    When good companies have offers - it will usually appear and be applied automatically on their site.
    Chilterns is one of those very  'good' companies  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,712
    There are 48 discount deals for Chiltern Seeds on the Hot Deals site and it is a sprat to a mackerel not one of them works. The con is with Hot Deals not Chiltern Seeds.
    Rutland, England
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139
    edited October 2020
    It never occurs to me to look on those sites ... they're money making schemes for the Deals sites ... they're not designed to help the businesses they attempt to parasitise and they're certainly not designed to help me.  

I buy from reputable companies in whose interests it is to look after their customers ... Chilterns Seeds are one of my favourite businesses to buy from.  I've never had anything other than quality products, excellent customer service and good value.  I don't ask for more.  If they send me a Discount Code then I'll use it, but I don't go looking for them.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933
    amancalledgeorge 

Well I find your reply a little insulting, you tell me you looked for  codes  and they didnt work and then go on to tell me you think the pricing is not extortionate and its worth patronising them . suggest .......I MAKE MY ORDER A BIT SMALLER  ! 

So if the codes you tried DID work  would you have disregarded that code  with each of your opinions??????  /But  Why did you look for discount codes if you didnt mind paying the full price ???

Re reading your reply i think you have contradicted yourself.

While Im not going to explain myself  or reveal the amount which i spend  with Chilterns  several times a year  what I will say is  I have a lot of ground to cover. and 
    if  a voucher code is given I take this as a  ' Thank you for loyal customer service over the last 30 years plus introducing many friends  to becoming regular customers .

AND if a seed company doesnt want to provide discounts for clearence seeds packets  then they wouldnt put these vouchers out. 
    when a discount like this is given many a time its to make way for new fresh seed.[ take advantage. 
    and actually these vouchers are mentioned on another forum.

so while i can agree they do have good quality seeds AND are worth every penny to go back to my post   i only asked  a question .