Forum home Fruit & veg

Fruits of the Season

tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,572
Persimmons and feijoas are on the autumnal menu!   
A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,269
    Two fruits that I’ve never tried.😊

Can you describe their taste? 
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,572
    @pansyface  A persimmon needs to be eaten squishy and soft and has a fresh taste like a melon.  Mild yet refreshing.  A feijoa (according to a tasting try on a Frenchman) is a cross between a banana and a strawberry.  They are good raw, stewed and as a crumble or pie (with vanilla ice-cream) and in a cake. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,269
    Sounds good. 🙂
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,151
    Feiojas are a new one on me, but I love my persimmon tree for it’s fab autumn colour and when it drops it’s leaves it looks like an elegant bare christmas tree with glowing orange baubles. Sadly, I don’t like the flavour of the fruit, they taste rather perfumed to me, odd!

• IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 596
    It will be persimmon season here soon, also called Sharon fruit. Looks like mini pumpkins so perfect for the season but eat it slightly firm like a sliced pear or very soft like a honeydew melon. And peel the skin.
    Feiojas, I’ve only come across on this forum recently. Looks good though. 
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,572
    @pansyface   @Nollie  @Ilikeplants   Thank you for your comments.

Feijoas originate from South America - they grow well in NZ and make excellent hedging.  Most households have these and they are now part of the NZ culture as are Tree Tomatoes (Tamarillos).  Most NZers living abroad would die for a feijoa - as I here, (in France) yearn for a good plate of crunchy fish and chips!!  Yes, there are fish and chips here but well - not the same.

Ah, its takeaways for me. Oh I really miss the ocasional ‘we’re knackered and can’t be bothered to cook lets order some chinese or thai food’. Yes you can make your own, but I agree it’s not the same and not the point! I suspect we won’t get much sympathy from our native countries 😆 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,200
    I've just read a) the persimmon tree is resistant to honey fungus - important here - and b) they come in two types, astringent and non-astringent.  The astringent sort, eg 'Hachiya', need to be left until they're squishy or they are "horribly bitter".  They are good for baking.  The non-astringent ones, eg 'Fuyu', can be eaten when firm and crisp, like a pear, and are nice raw or grilled.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,313
    @Nollie @tuikowhai34 You can both have some sympathy from me, I would kill for takeaway that isn't kebab or pizza. but it's a 2 hour drive to an Indian and the Chinese here is like British Chinese food in the 80's. Fish and chips just doesn't exist :(
    ‘Food that expats miss’ sounds like a good topic for a potting shed thread!

Incidentally, Persimmon is called Caci here, not to be confused with Caca (sh*t) embarrassing if you get it wrong in the GC 🙊