Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

salvia amistad

Good morning, this summer I bought a Salvia Amistad. I want to pot it up for the winter, but it has grown fairly tall (1,5  meter) and it is still flowering abundantly (I live in Leiden, Holland). On the other hand, I don't cut down the Salvia Royal Bumble when potting up for the winter. Do I have to cut down (prune?) the Salvia Amistad, as it seems to be less woody than the s. Royal Bumble. Kind regards, Josine Bakker

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617
    The top will die down naturally and lose all its leaves as Autumn progresses.  Pot it, let it carry on flowering, and then when the tops die off, cut the stems down to 10cm.  Keep it just damp while in the dormant state. You will get lots of new shoots from the bottom next spring. Then increase watering and feed it.
  • Thank you so much for your advice, figdetbones!
  • Mine has been going for several years and I have never cut it back, just pot it up and stick it in the GH to over winter. It has got a bit woody and is going to need a trim this time to tidy it up, but a tallish bushy plant is just what I need at the back of my border and I love the colour :)
  • purplerallimpurplerallim Posts: 5,287
    I'm new to salvia too @josinebakker2003 so was unsure what to do with my Lake McKenzie, Tahoe, and Strawberry Lake,  so all have gone in my cold greenhouse.  I hope they last the winter in there so they can go in the ground next year.😁
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698
    Leave the tops. I dug up and potted one of mine, stored by a sheltered house wall, and the top didn't actually die back at all last winter, although I cut it back in spring to make it bushier.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour".