Forum home Plants

Plant pot feet

Opinions on feet for under plant pots please. Is it worth having feet under plant pots or do they not really make much difference.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,510
    I find they make a huge difference in the winter; all our outdoor pots, including the fig and bay trees, are raised on feet or three blocks to ensure that they don’t get waterlogged. 

In the summer keeping the pots raised off the terrace seems to discourage ants from extending their homes up into the containers. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,167
    Yes, pot feet every time. Improve drainage, reduce the risk of frost damage, discourage slugs, and everything that dove has said. 

Three feet per pot. A wonderful investment.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • SydRoySydRoy Posts: 166
    In my view they're essential.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,251
    Another vote for raised pots.
  • Brilliant thank you, feet it is then x
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,167
    One of life’s mysteries:- 

If three feet are the norm, why do they sell them in pairs?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,271
    I disagree, I went to great expense and bought matching pot feet for all my pots one year only to have one big, rather nice pot on the terrace blown over in strong winds and smashed. I'd had it there for a number of years before that with no problems. I don't use them any more on any of my pots. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,463
    A lot of my pots sit on gravel, so they don't have them. For anything on a solid base- concrete, paving etc, I use pieces of timber battens, rather than the manufactured ones. 
    It helps with drainage, especially over winter. In drier areas, it maybe isn't such a problem.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 2,105
    Ones on gravel have no feet. Ones on hard standing have off cuts of timber or bits of brick....whatever is to hand. No fancy feet bought here.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,463
    You Yorkshire folk are as tight as us Scots @Pauline 7  :D

Much more stable in windy weather too  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....