Forum home Wildlife gardening

Mushrooms / Toadstools

Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,884
Has this year been a good year for toadstools / mushrooms? 
I have seen so many more than usual in my garden and others in neighbouring gardens where,other years, there have been none.
I know that they are not a problem. I'm just curious.

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 954
    I've certainly noticed a lot more and a wider variety in my garden this year @Pauline 7

Some I've removed because I didn't like the look of them but, for the most part, they get left to do their thing.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,376
    Pretty much the same as usual here.  I love seeing them too   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,881

Look what I just found in the garden! My pic left and stock image right:

Helvella crispa, or white/elfin saddle.

It’s by the pond edge and almost hidden in leaf fall, which is exactly the humid woodland habitat it thrives in. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,526
    DON'T DO THIS AT HOME but I picked some more poisonous ones to eat yesterday - clouded agaric, a tasty mushroom which causes gastric upset in 20% of people so gets classified as poisonous. I have had patches of it for a few years now and it is spreading gradually. Other edibles I have found in the garden include parasols, wood blewitts and orange peel fungus.
    I have found some definitely deadly ones in the garden as well but haven't eaten those. They say you can eat any mushroom - once! And once is enough to kill you with some varieties.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,898
    It's the wet weather which brings them out I think.  In dry autumns, there are far fewer I have noticed.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,532
    I’ve eaten Wood blewitts ... delicious 😋
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Those are fabulous @AuntyRach :)
    I missed getting photos of the shaggy inkcaps along the road, as I didn't take my camera, and then wasn't around,  so they were opened by the time I did. Always next year eh?  They're lovely too.
    I have a nice little collection on the back grass - not as spectacular as Aunty R's though

• Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,884
    Those are what I have got. @Fairygirl
    @Pauline 7, but we always have loads of them  :)
    @Ante30 is the 'shroom expert and knows loads, so perhaps he'll be able to advise.

I haven't looked to see if I have any more of the nice orange ones I had last year. I think they were a bit later though. 

• steephillsteephill Posts: 1,526
    I think those are butter caps, Rhodocollybia butyraceae. Edible but not worth it, very common.