Forum home Plants

If you allow foxgloves to self seed, when do you thin them out?

roisin897roisin897 North EssexPosts: 32
This summer some of my self seeded foxgloves were way to crowded and didn't thrive.
The seedlings are sprouting now. Should I thin them out now or wait til spring?
Age doesn't make you forgetful. Having way too many stupid things to remember makes you forgetful.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,833
    Whenever it is not raining!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,354
    edited October 2020
    Whenever you’re walking past and your back lets you bend down that far ... and get up again! 🤣 

And don’t discard the thinnings ... plant them elsewhere. They’ll look a picture 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,112
    I usually don't thin, although I sometimes remove the smallest ones (I don't let all plants go to seed, only one or two, the rest gets deadheaded, to limit the number of seedlings). I also move plants where needed/wanted. They are usually sprouting all over the garden.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,089
    Normally I thin and transplant foxglove seedlings to where I want them. This year I got hardly any growing in the ground, but loads in the tomato pots, so they've all been transplanted into small-ish pots and looking good. I'll most likely plant them out in early spring.