Forum home Wildlife gardening

Lack of bird life currently?

Jack1974Jack1974 WhitstablePosts: 25
edited October 2020 in Wildlife gardening
Hi all,

I recently cleaned and restocked all the bird feeders in our garden. We have two feeding stations, with a few different feeders and coconuts on. I've just seen a sparrow on one of the feeders, but that has been it for a couple of weeks.

Are other peoples gardens quiet too with the birds?! We are based in Whitstable, north Kent.

Jack

• steephillsteephill Posts: 1,523
    Ours have just started to pick up again. There is always a quiet gap in October when the summer residents have gone and winter's haven't turned up yet.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,514
    Same here ... very quiet, but it’s usual at this time of year, there’s loads of seeds and berries in the woods, fields and hedgerows. When they’ve eaten that lot they’ll be back 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,827
    They are probably stuffing themselves in the hedgerows. When the hips and haws  have gone, they will be back on the feeders.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,372
    Mine are full of the tit family - blue, great and coal, and dunnocks and sparrows. Robin too.
    The others will be feeding on all the other sources outside the garden, as others have said, and will be back soon. The blackbirds are starting to appear now and again. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Most of ours don't seem to have followed the trend this year but some youngsters ( students ? ) are very noticeable at taking a Gap Month  ;) Most obvious are the GS Woodpeckers - the usual 2 juveniles introduced to the feeders - mostly by Mrs. GS - all disappeared last month but both adults and juveniles now back. Not unusual for them tho as I have noticed that in previous gardens. Wood pigeons seem few and far between in the garden at present.  Starlings less frequent ( only a few remain here for the whole year) - the rest ( Sparrows, various Finches and Tits, Blackbirds, Robins, Collared doves ) remain for the duration.
    Gulls, Crows and Jackdaws are about and the Sparrowhawk also still making it's usual swoop through.
    Very few people in close proximity have bird feeders so that may make a difference.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,372
    They must have been listening. Went into the kitchen and there was a pair tootling around searching everywhere for food. 
    I reckon they've found lots of those sunflower hearts the coal tits have been hiding  ;)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• September was fairly quiet for us but october has been crazy. I'm filling 2 of my sunflower heart feeders every day and another one every 2 days as well as hanging fat balls. As others have said, they'll be back once the berries they're able to find have gone. In the meantime do make sure you get rid of any food that has gone stale. 
  • Jack1974Jack1974 WhitstablePosts: 25
    Thank you all for such informative and quality replies. Appreciated. I will be more patient !!!
  • Jack1974Jack1974 WhitstablePosts: 25
    Fairygirl said:
    They must have been listening. Went into the kitchen and there was a pair tootling around searching everywhere for food. 
    I reckon they've found lots of those sunflower hearts the coal tits have been hiding  ;)

Lovely photo!
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,516
    I moved my bird feeder closer to the house to get it away from parakeets. They can't get at the seeds but they try for ages, keeping other birds away. I'm hoping that they're not keen on being so close to the house
    The odd bird has found the feeder now.
    What I was wondering is, do the birds that find it keep it to themselves or do they let other birds know?
    In London. Keen but lazy.