Forum home Problem solving

Garden stil severely waterlogged. Bog garden?

PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 139
So I've been trying since early summer to improve an area of my garden for a new flower bed. I've dug in manure, grit, compost. I've double dug. It's still completely waterlogged. The whole lawn squelchs when it's walked on days after any rain.

So I'm thinking of just going with it and making a bog garden. 
Apparently these plants are happy in bogs:
Grey willow 
Dogwood 
Purple loosestrife
False goatsbeard
Hemp agrimony
Meadowsweet
White bachelor's buttons
Bergamot
Great burnet

Is this a daft idea? I'm honestly out of ideas. I'm trying to make the garden as wildlife friendly as possible. 
Thanks in advance for any help. 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,347
    That sounds a great idea.  There are loads of really beautiful plants which will grow in wet soil - candelabra primulas come to mind, plus hydrangeas, astilbe, marsh marigold, trollius... I'm sure there are lots more.   :)  It'll be beautiful.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,849
    I'd love a big garden. So many lovely things I can't grow here because it's just too dry. Go for it!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,786
    edited 21 October
    Not a daft idea at all, the plants should suit the garden conditions not the other way around . They are plenty of plants which will love wet conditions . Ligularia - hosta - rodgersia - trollies - primula and many more. 

How wet does the garden get though ? surface water for days ? flooded during the winter etc . They is a difference between plants that like moister and bog plants , to wet and some plants will succumb like the Bergamont / monarda.      
  • PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 139
    Thanks everyone, that's helped. I could build raised beds, but personally I don't like them.

@Perki it's pretty damp. It rained heavily here yesterday and Monday, and there's still some surface water on the lawn in some points. So I'm thinking more bog plants than damp torrent plants.

The front garden is fine, heavy clay but not waterlogged, and able to have a lot more planted. Just the back that got it. 
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,786
    Seen as you mentioned the lawn does the lawn get a lot of traffic ? has it ever been spiked / aerated . It may be compacted which isn't helping surface water drain , it may be better draining if it were a border ? 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,173
    I recommend bog salvia. It loves marshy conditions and can grow up to head height with lovely blue flowers. Bees love it.

There are some great GW threads on bog planting. Try the search function to dig them out.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,125
    Just before you get planting...does it stay wet in summer? I have a waterlogged garden in winter, but in summer it is as dry as dust. No bog plants for me!
  • Monty has an article in November's Gardeners' World on page 32. "If your garden regularly floods or gets boggy-wet in winter, then match your plants to those conditions". This might be of use.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,173
    "The whole lawn squelchs when it's walked on days after any rain."

Is that during the summer too. I guess in Scotland you may get a fair amount of rain through the year...
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,153
    edited 22 October
    I wouldn't rule out raised beds. Saves a lot of hassle. 
    You'd need to do a bit of research to make sure a bog garden will work. It's not just a case of chucking in plants that like some wet ground. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....