Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Vat

I was wondering if you can claim the vat back on bulbs bought from Holland and delivered to England. 

• BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,712
    edited October 2020
    Not before December 31st and I rather doubt afterwards unless you’re running a commercial organisation. Are you?

Have a read of this. It’s a bit chewy

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021
    Rutland, England
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065
    After the 31st there may be fewer bulbs getting thru and import duties to pay on top.

Why not buy your bulbs from firms in Lincolnshire - often started by Dutch immigrants or businesses and same soil and conditions as the Dutch bulb fields?
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • edhelkaedhelka Posts: 2,351
    I am almost sure you can't. Because of the EU common VAT area. Simply said, you either have to pay Dutch VAT or British VAT and laws say which one (at the moment it is the country of the seller for both physical and online shopping but the plans are to change this in online shopping).
    It would be different if you were from a third country (American, for example).
    After December, there will be no need to pay Dutch VAT but you will have to pay British VAT and get a phytosanitary certificate (and who knows what else).
  • I was buying bulbs for own garden, the reason I asked was because I was told if you was on holiday and kept your receipts you could clame back the vat as you would not be benefiting from the money as you go back home to your own country. 
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,712
    Ask the person who told you if he/she has noticed we have been in the EU for about 50 years and Netherlands was a founder member!
    Rutland, England
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,841
    https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/individuals/travelling/travellers-leaving-eu/guide-vat-refund-visitors-eu_en covers personal purchases by third country citizens made on holiday. I don't think anyone can say for sure what the position of the UK will be next year though. One crucial point is that it is up to the individual shop whether they want to offer such a scheme, the purchaser cannot insist on it.