Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Mystery fruit

Help identifying this plant would be most gratefully received. We have recently moved house, and this plant is among several which I have never come across before in what is an established garden.
I thought there might be a stone/nut inside, but it looks as though it holds some tiny seeds.

• Japanese/ornamental quince.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139
    Japanese/ornamental quince.t
    Agree ... aka Chaenomeles 

the fruit can be used to flavour stewed apples, jellies etc like the culinary quince. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you - I had a Japanese quince in my last garden but it never fruited perhaps because it needed a warm south-facing wall like this one. How ripe should I leave them to get before using them as suggested - most have fallen off before turning orange?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139
    I pick them when they begin to turn yellowish ... they’ll continue to ripen indoors. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Not all of them fruit, I have a red flowering one that is sterile. I wasn’t aware of this when I ordered it and I was a bit disappointed as I like quinces. It does flower abundantly in spring and has a few flowers throughout the summer as well.