Forum home Problem solving

Poinsettia has only green leaves

This year for the first time ever, I managed to keep last Christmas's Poinsettia alive for the whole year. The plant looks healthy but almost all the leaves (bracts?) are green rather than red. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Thanks for any help.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,590
    From now your plant needs 14 hours of absolute and total darkness every 24 hours and really good daylight for the rest of the time. 

It’s explained here if you scroll down https://wheelbarrowexpert.com/how-to-get-a-poinsettia-to-turn-red/

Hope that helps 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for that I will give it a try.

• ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 424
    I’m doing the same, and have moved the plant into the downstairs loo !  There’s a window so it gets good daylight but it’s in the dark from sunset to sunrise, no artificial light.

a few leaves are just starting to turn a dark red, nowhere near the red we see at Christmas.  I will persevere!
  • ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 424
    ERICS MUM said:
    I’m doing the same, and have moved the plant into the downstairs loo !  There’s a window so it gets good daylight but it’s in the dark from sunset to sunrise, no artificial light.

a few leaves are just starting to turn a dark red, nowhere near the red we see at Christmas.  I will persevere!
    Update as at 4/11:

• Mine has 4-5 leaves that are a patchy red. On the windowsill during the day then in the cupboard under the stairs at night. It feels like a punishment regime!
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 795
    Have you named it Harry Potter, @Sue Partridge? :D
  • Never thought of that-very funny!