Forum home Plants

Deadline for planting bulbs for spring?

FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 623
How late is too late?  My Peter Nyssen bulbs have arrived but I might not get chance to plant them until the 1st November.  My gardener granny is quite distressed at this!  Is it really a problem?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156
    No  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 623
    Fairygirl said:
    No  :)
    Why thank you!!  

What would be the latest you would plant?  I have a lovely selection of tulips and daffs, and can't remember if I threw any alliums in the basket but I might get some more anyway!
    You can really continue planting bulbs for as long as they're viable. They may not perform so well if they're really late - ie in December, but as long as they're in the ground or a pot, and not getting completely dehydrated, they'll grow.
    They would certainly build up for the following year, especially if given a feed or two as the foliage dies back.
    Tulips are less reliable regarding re blooming well - most of them diminish over time, with a few exceptions.  :)

Fairygirl said:
    You can really continue planting bulbs for as long as they're viable. They may not perform so well if they're really late - ie in December, but as long as they're in the ground or a pot, and not getting completely dehydrated, they'll grow.
    They would certainly build up for the following year, especially if given a feed or two as the foliage dies back.
    Tulips are less reliable regarding re blooming well - most of them diminish over time, with a few exceptions.  :)
    Fab, thank you.  I've had single year tulips the last few years but this time as well as some 'fancy' ones I've ordered some that are supposed to be perennial and come back, so fingers crossed! 
    The species tulips are different, and will naturalise in the right conditions, and a few others like the Apeldoorns are more reliable [the big red or yellow ones]  but it's difficult to give most tulips the right conditions in the UK.  :)

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,002
    I would plant the daffodils first though. Tulips shouldn't be planted until November because of the risk of tulip fire disease.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    I wouldn't worry, looking at the location. It'll be cold enough in Manchester, I would have thought. Certainly fine in pots if using commercial compost.  :)
    We can plant them early October here no problem. Ground's been in single figures for a long time here.  

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 800
    edited 21 October
    Fairygirl said:
    I wouldn't worry, looking at the location. It'll be cold enough in Manchester. 
    Harsh! :o But fair :( 
    Biglad said:
    Fairygirl said:
    I wouldn't worry, looking at the location. It'll be cold enough in Manchester. 
    Harsh! :o But fair :( 
    Yep, can't argue with that! 
    Even colder here @Biglad, and actually- milder than normal for October  :D