Forum home Problem solving

Advice needed for re-planted Apple Tree

We are renovating this area of our garden around this family apple tree. As we didn't have access to ground, we grew it in a large half barrel for four years, before having the chance in April to move it into the ground when we took the paving slab out.

I knew this wasn't ideal timing, but it was looking to be struggling in the half barrel and has looked healthier since in the ground but hasn't produced fruit for either of the last two seasons.

We are hoping it will have the chance now to get a decent 2021 season but as November approaches, is there anything I can do to help it by pruning?

It's a family variety with sections of Katy, James Grieve and Cox.

Any thoughts would be super welcome.

• koyukanokoyukano Posts: 52
    I'm only a noob myself when it comes to fruit trees, but those branches look incredibly long. It looks like a lack of pruning in previous years has led to weak thin long branches? I'd be tempted to reduce them longer branches by half myself. But I'd wait for advice from people who know more than me!

Also pretty sure an apple tree of that size should be staked especially with all them branches.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,590
    edited 21 October
    I would also reduce the length of those long branches, by about one third ... I think that as the tree is top-grafted over-long branches will put a strain on the graft point. 
    Prune to an upward facing leaf-bud. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I would also reduce the length of those long branches, by about one third ... I think that as the tree is top-grafted over-long branches will put a strain on the graft point. 
    Prune to an upward facing leaf-bud. 
    Would you do that asap or once all leaves have fallen?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,590
    I would do it in late Jan or Feb. 

lots of info here https://www.theorchardproject.org.uk/guides_and_advice/pruning-apple-trees/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh