Forum home Plants

Periwinkle and geranium not flowering

In the garden we have large patches of periwinkle and perennial geraniums that are great for ground cover but they don't flower.  They were here when we bought the house and we haven't done anything to them for the last 2 years.  Is there anything we should be doing to encourage flowering?

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 372
    Any photos so we can try and ID them?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156
    Whereabouts are they growing, and what conditions?

They usually flower without much help, in most situations. They both like a bit of moisture, so if it's excessively dry, for example,  they may be struggling. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,682
    I think it would have to be very dry indeed to get no flowers at all on those for a whole year. It's pretty dry here and while they might give up for a while in a prolonged drought, they do come back when there's a bit of rain.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,682
    Maybe give them a bit of general fertiliser next spring, something like chicken poo pellets or growmore. The geraniums might benefit from being lifted and divided but generally they don't need it.
  • this is one of the geraniums,  they are not in full sun, definitely not too dry.
  • Am I supposed to cut them back at all?
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,409
    I'd suggest the geraniums would benefit from dividing.  That is a large mass you have there.
  • The periwinkle is an even bigger size!