Forum home Problem solving

Really odd metal pipe JUST under the surface...

2»

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,873
    Electrical cables can be run/buried all over your property from the mains supply. We have garden lights about 30m away on the opposite side of the house to the electricity entry point. Is the black spiral thing that flexible plastic sheathing? We have that covering buried water and electric cables, very badly deteriorating in places and I do have to be careful when digging as the routes from the supply to the outlet are, somewhat quirky, shall we say! In some places, I have come across bare electric cables laid near the surface with no protection whatsoever. Scary!
  • SlumSlum Posts: 308
    I found an old water pipe that went from the house to a disused well right at the other end of the garden. It became redundant when mains water was fitted. 
  • Update- while following the pipe (which now doesn't really point at my gas meter anymore), I found ANOTHER pipe- a yellow one, laid in sand, with yellow tape six inches above. The ACTUAL gas pipe!? I guess that's good to know!

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,590
    My house is 1930's and I had an asbestos garage ( now removed )when I moved in 18 years ago.

About 12" under the soil was a white plastic bendy electricity cable ( not protected ) running from the house to the garage

The previous Old Boy had fitted his own electric cabling in the house which was somewhat unusual.

Not relevant really to you but may help 
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,759
    Yup, I’d say the yellow-taped pipe is the new gas pipe. If you cut the lead one you should still be able to sniff the gas. The smell lasts for years.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,232
    @Gaughan.david  I'd recommend you take a couple of photos for future reference and stick them in your Gas Bill folder (if you have one) and possibly draw a plan too, showing the line of the pipe.

I did this when we had a new heavy duty armoured electric cable run from the house down to our new garage (approx50-60ft away). It's laid according to the Regs at the time and further down than a fork's depth. I also took the precaution of putting in an edging board over the cable line  at the back of the new border I made at the same time.