Forum home Plants

Salvia care

Hi
I have lots of salvias which are still flowering beautifully. They are mostly Hotlips, Jezebel and Amisted. They are rather large and bushy but I am unsure what to do when the weather turns cold and they stop flowering. Should I just trim off the flowers or cut them down by about half to stop wind rock. Any advice gratefully received.  Thanks

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,153
    I would wait until spring to trim back. The bushiness will give a bit of cold protection to the plant. And cutting back can stress a plant. Wait till threat of frost has passed. 
  • I have a Salvia Hotlips which has practically taken over a smallish flowerbed. I am wondering if I can dig it up when it starts to die back (currently it is still in full flower), divide it and put it into pots? Thanks 😊 
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 363
    @Kathryn.T.Smales Salvia 'Hot Lips' is woody so unless there were multiple plants in the one pot you wouldn't be able to divide it. Propagation is usually done with cuttings. This RHS advice page should be helpfulhttps://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=300
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,156
    They don't split well as the base gets woody when they age. This plant is a lot hardier than others, so can be left outside if your soil is free draining, but if you live in an area that gets hard frost a lot, then it's best to dig up and put into pots.

Take cuttings on non-flowering shoots in early summer will ensure you have a supply of young plants. 
  • Don't cut back salvias in fall if you have wet weather. They will rot and die. Wait until spring. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,049
    My Hot Lips salvia is also in danger of taking over @Kathryn.T.Smales. As others have said,  it's best to leave it until the Spring. I have taken off the spent flower heads just to tidy it up. It very much depends on the Winter weather we get as to how they survive, but the more top growth left on, the better. You can then cut it back in late Spring or very early Summer. It might be worth taking cuttings next year as insurance  :)
  • Thanks everyone for your help. As someone who is fairly new to gardening (retirement, then lockdown!), I am keen to learn 😊