Forum home Plants

Gladiolus Murmansk - no flowers?

LornaPLornaP Posts: 26
I planted some Gladiolus Murmansk in spring towards the back of a west facing border. All I got were leaves and not a single flower spike. Any ideas on what I did wrong, and is it worth digging them up, storing them over winter and trying somewhere else? I know they weren't in full sun, but they are such tall plants they would look odd at the front of the border.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156
    Not something I grow, but unless you're in a very warm area, you'll probably need to lift them as most Gladioli aren't hardy in the UK. 
    The site should have been fine for them. They do need plenty of food and water though, so if they went short of water, in particular, that could have affected them. Not enough of the right food is often a reason for poor flowering in all sorts of plants. 

The size of the bulb/corm is often a factor too - small bulbs aren't mature enough to flower, or flower well, so if they weren't from a reputable seller, that may be the reason. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LornaPLornaP Posts: 26
    Thanks Fairygirl. I'm in Berkshire, so a reasonably warm part of the country, but we did have a very dry summer. I thought they were a reputable seller (not sure if appropriate to name them here) but I bought 7 different types of summer flowering bulbs from them and only 4 types flowered.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156
    I'd suspect that's the growing conditions then - and just not enough moisture to get flowering buds developed and into bloom. It's not uncommon   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....