Forum home Problem solving

Clematis and Jasmin

Can these plants grow against a low fence? I'm thinking of planting them against a wire fence, but the fence is only just over a metre high.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,404
    Both will want to grow more than a metre in height but depending on the length of the fence, you could do more horizontal training ( often encourages more flowers ).  Don't plant too close together tho otherwise you will end up with a tangled mess.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,152
    The type of clematis will be a factor too, for pruning. 
    I've grown clematis on a low fence by doing as @philippasmith2 describes, but it was wooden with wires attached. What do you mean by a wire fence? Do you mean a mesh, or do you mean like stock fencing round fields?

Jasmine isn't hardy here, so I don't grow it,  but it does get quite rampant in the right conditions, so you'd need to be sure of where you plant.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    The type of clematis will be a factor too, for pruning. 
    I've grown clematis on a low fence by doing as @philippasmith2 describes, but it was wooden with wires attached. What do you mean by a wire fence? Do you mean a mesh, or do you mean like stock fencing round fields?

Jasmine isn't hardy here, so I don't grow it,  but it does get quite rampant in the right conditions, so you'd need to be sure of where you plant.
    It's a mesh fence between wooden posts. I was thinking of putting the jasmine at one end and train it in one direction, and the clematis montana at the other end growing towards it from the other direction. Eventually they would meet. I was thinking montana because I understand that doesn't need cutting back to base each year.

How long is the fence? They both get huge. A montana can easily cover about 40 feet trained that way, if not more. 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,347
    Which jasmine are you thinking of?  Winter jasmine is better behaved than the vigorous summer-flowerers, but not scented.  There are other clematis which don't need cutting back each year and are less vigorous than C.montana, which as Fairygirl says, is a thug.  Clematis alpina or C.macropetala are both beautiful and don't need hacking back.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    I suppose I assumed the summer jasmine @Liriodendron, as it seemed to be climbers the OP wanted, and I always think of the winter one as more of a shrub. Better choice if it's a cold area though, but it would need some tying in I expect. 
    The growing conditions are an important factor too. If the ground's drier, an alpina or macro would definitely be better than a montana. Need the relevant info though  :)

• Fairygirl said:
    How long is the fence? They both get huge. A montana can easily cover about 40 feet trained that way, if not more. 

It's about 18ft. Presumably it can be pruned, though?

• Which jasmine are you thinking of?  Winter jasmine is better behaved than the vigorous summer-flowerers, but not scented.  There are other clematis which don't need cutting back each year and are less vigorous than C.montana, which as Fairygirl says, is a thug.  Clematis alpina or C.macropetala are both beautiful and don't need hacking back.

I was thinking winter jasmine. Thanks for the advice on the clematis, too. Good advice.

Bit pointless planting a montana then. Hundred of smaller clematis to choose from  :)
    Constantly cutting it back will just mean fewer flowers.