Forum home Tools and techniques

Sweet pea

Hi 👋 
On GW last episode, Monty sowed some sweet peas and he did so straight from the packet. 
I actually have some that can also be sown now, which rarely happens with things he sows 🤣, but the pack says to soak the seeds in water for 24hrs before sowing which Monty didn't do?
I havent grown these before so not sure if soaking them was a hard and fast rule?
Thanks 😊 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,664
    I've never done it, and I've been growing them for decades..
    They need to be kept on the damp side anyway, so it isn't needed. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,971
    Same here, I've never soaked them, successfully growing them for years.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,523
    Soak/don’t soak - it really doesn’t matter.

You might find this article interesting
    https://sweetpeagardens.com/blog/should-you-soak-sweet-pea-seeds

In the comments section there is discussion of putting the seeds on damp kitchen paper in a plastic bag for a few days so that’s a third option for you. Plus there’s a fourth: making a small nick in the seed case, a process called chitting.

Some people say the dark coloured seeds are slightly harder to germinate so keep a note of which pots have which coloured/named seeds. Sow them the standard way but if some fail to germinate you’ll know which ones and can try them again using one of the alternative methods.
  • Thanks everyone ☺ I can always rely on this forum for help (which I need quite often being a newbie! - look out for my post on spring bulbs coming shortly 🤣) 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,664
    The 'nicking' them is a bit outdated now too. All these methods were advised simply because the outer coating of the seed is quite tough, but again - it mostly comes down to how pots or beds are prepared for sowing, and the aftercare,  and it's not really necessary to go to a lot of bother. 
    If you buy good quality seed, from a reputable supplier, germination will always be good, unless there are other factors at play - ie mice or completely unsuitable growing mediums etc.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....