Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Evergreen daylilies?

Hi, 

Anyone know if evergreen daylillies will be any good and keep there foliage in south Scotland? Thanks for the help, hopefully I can answer some questions one day. 

Cheers

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    Hi - daylilies aren't evergreen, although they do keep foliage for a long time.
    They're perfectly hardy though  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thanks Fairygirl I was thinking of lining a path with them, will look for some evergreen grass like plants to intermingle with them. 
    Yes - they'd be a bit floppy and untidy on their own.

• Some daylilies die down for the winter but many of mine stay green all winter, and certainly would for you. Sellers normally say which varieties are evergreen, semi-evergreen or dormant.
    I stand corrected @Alan Clark2 in Liverpool. I've never seen any listed as evergreen.
    Is that climate related though? 
    The Scottish borders aren't very warm in winter   ;)

• Fairygirl said:
    I stand corrected @Alan Clark2 in Liverpool. I've never seen any listed as evergreen.
    Is that climate related though? 
    The Scottish borders aren't very warm in winter   ;)
    They are in the minority, but there are plenty to choose from. Here are some examples:
    https://strictlydaylilies.com/collections/all-hemerocallis/foliage-ev

I don't think climate is very significant, and Liverpool is probably not much warmer than the Scottish borders.
    Interesting @Alan Clark2 in Liverpool
    The biggest problem I have with them is the colour combinations. I really dislike some of them, so maybe I haven't always taken note of whether they're evergreen or not. There's only a handful of those I would entertain unfortunately.
    Not to mention the price of the ones I like. That's me being a stereotypical tight Scot now!  :D
    Maybe a birthday present next year  ;)

I think they'd get flattened too easily up here without decent supports though. I always had them among shrubs in the past, because even summer weather can be rough.