Forum home Plants

Two hydrangeas - one looks fine the others leaves are falling off

matz1matz1 Posts: 6
Hi All,

hope you’re well - I’m a little worried about one of my hygrangea’s. 

as you can see one looks totally healthy but the other not so good, the leaves are all falling off! 

They’re currently in full shade which I’m thinking of moving more into the sun now that the summer is over! 

What do you guys think is wrong here? Could it be some kind of fungal? 

Thank you 
Matthew 

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,624
    Are you in the UK? They look like very small plants in really big pots. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,443
    @amancalledgeorge something rang a bell ... we have more info here 

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1045077/young-bavaria-hydrangeas-planted-sunlight-heat-query#latest

Im wondering whether they’re planted a bit too deep?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,050
    There's plenty of new growth lower down, so I wouldn't be too worried. It's autumn, and they drop foliage because they're becoming dormant.
    They're certainly over potted, but they should be ok. There's no point in moving them, although it might be a good idea if they're going to get really waterlogged where they are over winter. They're going to take a while to fill those barrels and the roots will be a bit vulnerable in so much wet soil. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,624
    Ah @Dovefromabove you get the Miss Marple award for today 😂 vaguely looked familiar.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • matz1matz1 Posts: 6
    Thanks guys, now the summer  has passed, going to move them into a less shady location, pop up green house over them for extra shelter and water manually
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,050
    They don't need shelter. They won't need much watering either over winter, as weather will do that. Just put them somewhere they won't get waterlogged - against a wall or similar. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....