Forum home Plants

Best Looking Fruit Trees

jayne10bjayne10b Posts: 59
We are currently redesigning part of our garden and would like to put a couple of fruit trees in - maybe grown as standards, or maybe fan trained or as espalliers.  As we like most fruit and are starting from scratch, we can accommodate most things apart from something too big.

My question is, which fruit tree/bush do you think is the 'best looking'/attractive to mix in with other non edible plants to make the backbone of a border or planting scheme?  

TIA

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,478
    I’m a bit confused, I’m afraid.

If you are growing a fruit tree don’t you want the fruit to be delicious rather than the tree to be a stunner?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • jayne10bjayne10b Posts: 59
    I'm looking to have my cake and eat it!  As we would be happy with any kind of fruit, I thought I would try and find which fruit tree has the best aesthetics and then we could have fruit from a tree that looks good.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,519
    Espaliered Concorde pear. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• steephillsteephill Posts: 1,440
    Hava a search for episode 5 from this year's Gardener's World on iPlayer. It featured West Dean garden which is famous for its trained fruit trees. @chicky is a volunteer there and may be able to add more info.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,519
    edited 19 October
    Crab apples are very good pollinators for a wide range of apples and Malus ‘John Downie’ is a beautiful crab with traditional blossom white topped with pink, and rosy apples (larger than most crabs) which make the most fantastic jelly. An ideal small orchard tree to grow as a standard or half standard. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,224
    As most untrained fruit trees would need a 6'x6' area at least, a trained apple or pear in espallier could be towards the back of a boarder near a fence, but you would still need a gap to be able to get to it for care and its root area needs to be bare for it to thrive. Thats why most trees are in stand alone orchards. A crab apple can go in a hedgerow, so would maybe cope better with surrounding plants.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,257
    Both apples and pears look good as espaliers and fans against the wall at West Dean.  Nothing planted around them though, apart from a few spring bulbs.

Remember you will need a pollinator for both apples and pears, so choose your varieties carefully.  Sites like Ashridge Trees have comprehensive guides to pollination groups etc.
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.