Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Black spots on tree leaves.

I have a lot of tree leaves which I collect each year but I have noticed that the plane tree leaves are covered in black spots. I forget the name of the disease but what I want to know is will using them as a mulch transfer disease to my vegetables and flowers? 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    edited October 2020
    Check if it is Plane tree anthracnose, which produces sharp, angular black marks:
    If it is that, dispose or burn the leaves and don't compost or use for making leaf-mould.
    However, if the spots are round and/or can be rubbed-off, it is likely black mould formed on aphid excretia and is harmless.
    Photos of affected leaves would help, if you're not sure.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Check if it is Plane tree anthracnose, which produces sharp, angular black marks:
    If it is that, dispose or burn the leaves and don't compost or use for making leaf-mould.
    However, if the spots are round and/or can be rubbed-off, it is likely black mould formed on aphid excretia and is harmless.
    Photos of affected leaves would help, if you're not sure.

Hi Bob, checked the RHS link you gave me and it is certainly not that disease. They are round black spots about thumbnail size. They remind me of a tar spot solid black and a regular size and they do not rub off.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    I'd agree with that @pansyface . They're always covered in it round here  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thank you for the replies. Going back to the original question I assume that it is ok to use them as a mulch.