Forum home Plants

Salvia Blue Hills (x Sylvestris) Pruning Advice

This is my first year of owning this Salvia and I have absolutely loved it. I'm just after a bit of pruning/cutting back advice though as I am reading a lot of conflicting advice on the best method and each method differs for each type of Salvia, it seems.

So really I want to draw on personal experience, has anyone had any experience with this one regarding pruning? When is best to do it, etc.? Any tips welcomed.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,122
    Many salvias aren't very hardy here, so it'll depend on where you are. 
    Probably best to take cuttings, although it's not the best time now,  or bring it under cover for winter if it's one that isn't too  sturdy. If it's in the ground, you may need to use fleece for some protection. 

If you think it'll be ok to leave outside where you are, I'd leave pruning now until next year. That helps avoid die back too.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,107
    There are several types of salvias.
    Annual salvias  - grown from seed sown in spring. Flower in summer then die.
    Perennial salvias (like yours) - which die down at the end of the season and re-appear next Spring.
    Shrubby Salvias - which retain their framework of branches and are pruned in the Spring.

All you need to with yours is to remove the faded flower heads and trim off any manky foliage. Give it a mulch in the spring, and that's about all you need to do.

They are fantastic plants. I have several perennial types and a shrubby salvia (clotted cream) which will probably still be flowering around Christmas.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.