Forum home Problem solving

White fungus on my Fatsia Japonica stem

Jennie wrenJennie wren Posts: 4
edited 18 October in Problem solving
Hi,

i have a 30'year old fatsia which has been looking rather sad of late. It has been drooping and losing its leaves. I have recently noticed that there is a white fungus around the base of the shrub which is creeping up the main stem. I have removed one of the stems and tried to scrape the rest off. Does anyone know what this is or how I can get rid of it please? Worried I might lose my shrub. Perhaps the fungus is responsible for the problems with my plant.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,231
    I’ve never grown this but could the “fungus” be mealy bugs?

As with anything that starts to look a bit peaky, I’d take cuttings.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thanks for responding. No it is definitely not mealy bugs. They are white semi circular mushrooms. I am praying that it is not honey fungus which would be a disaster. I have been trying to upload a photo but for some reason it does not work!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,231
    edited 18 October
    Not honey fungus anyway. Honey fungus is honey-coloured.
    I am useless as computer jargon, but I do know that photos have to be “small”. There’s a guide on how to post a pic somewhere.

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1010384/how-to-upload-a-picture-or-embed-other-media

all gobbledegook to me, but maybe it means something to you.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Many thanks! Does not work on my ipad for some strange reason. I shall  have to try on my PC. I think my fatsia possibly has heart rot do I shall try the suggested apple vinegar solution which I found on another website.