Forum home Plants

Huge Hydrangea pruning advice

I have a large Lace Cap Hydrangea in my front garden. As you can see, it’s rather large, shapeless and unruly. It’s too big for the space really and, frankly, looks a mess!

Can it be pruned back hard to make it much smaller? I pruned it last spring to about half this size but it’s shot up this summer (though only with about 6 flowers on it).

Also, when can i prune it? I’m having some work done to the front of the house soon and it’ll probably get damaged if I don’t do something with it now.

Any advice would be gratefully received. I am an inexperienced and amateur gardener!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,027
    You can hack them back hard without any problem, but done at this time of year will mean losing the flowers. Best done in late winter/early spring when it start growing again. 
    If you want to keep it a bit smaller, you can also just remove some stems completely each year, right back to the main trunk. That will give a slimmer shrub. About a third at a  time is the way.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,484
    As Fairy says, you can hack it back now but I wouldn’t, I leave the top growth on for frost protection and take them down in the Spring, whenever you do it, it won’t get flowers next year and by the year after will be that size again.
    Right plant, wrong place. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I didn't like to say but, if it was mine, I'd take it out @Lyn ;)

• Thanks for your advice. Would it be up to being relocated? If so, how easy is it to do and at what time of year? Thanks.
    edited 18 October
    You can do that now,   Find a biiiigggg space for it, dig the hole plonk it in tread down well and water well. 
    They do grow big!  I’ve got several here, one lace cap is 7’ tall and 10’ wide. 

I'd cut it back if you wan to relocate it. Much easier to deal with. It's a good time because it will have all autumn and winter to get re established too.

Pick somewhere with some decent space though  ;)

• Oh wow @Lyn, there is spectacular! I think mine needs to be moved to see it reach its full potential!
    Thank you.  I have lots of them, great space fillers nice colours although most of mine are blue due to acid soil.  Very easy from cuttings.  Which all of mine are.  Most of them grown by my dad. 

Your conditions will also dictate the eventual size, plus the variety @robinsondj84.

They don't all get to that size, especially if you have drier conditions. The more common pink and blue ones tend to be larger, especially in wet, cooler parts of the country :)