Forum home Problem solving

Cucamelons

Hi - I'm just about to take out my cucamelon plant which I've had in the conservatory all summer with tomatoes and cucumbers.  All the others did well including my green peppers and aubergines on the windowsills. All I got from the cucamelon is lots of greenery and flowers and the start of fruit, but nothing developed properly into fruit.  Is it lack of heat?

• Jason millyJason milly Posts: 529
    I had one in my unheated glass house last summer and it produced plenty of fruit so in your conservatory it should of had enough heat, in my opinion you not missed much I didn't like the taste of them. 
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,803
    Mine were a funny shape this year, and a bit smaller than usual, but tasted fine. Sort of tiny aubergine (!!!) shaped, rather than grape shaped. I grow mine outside though.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Jennie3Jennie3 Posts: 2
    Did you cut the side shoots or just let it go? They may not taste that good but I don’t like to be beaten by a plant!!
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,803
    I just let it go, but tbh I didn't know there was any different way to grow them!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • LornaPLornaP Posts: 18
    I grew a cucamelon for the first time this year, and after starting off on a windowsill just planted it outside (in Berkshire). It romped everywhere and produced lots of fruit, the last of which I picked yesterday when I dug the plant out. 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,695
    But did you actually like the taste @LornaP? I didn’t and won’t be growing them again, but LG likes them. Must be a bit marmite!
  • LornaPLornaP Posts: 18
    I thought they were a bit tasteless, and I won't be growing them again either! I did however manager to grow 2 little Alvero melons outside and they were delicious.
  • REMF33REMF33 Posts: 210
    I found them a bit boring. Not bothered again, although they are pretty and rather cute.