Forum home Plants

fruit trees

pwwatson60pwwatson60 pevensey bay, east sussexPosts: 5
This year we have hardly had any fruit from our trees. no peaches, no nectarines, one cherry, no pears, no sharon fruit, very few apples and a few cobnuts. All these are in a fruit cage approx 2.4 mtrs high. What am I doing wrong? I put fertiliser down in spring and mulched the roots.

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,167
    We did have a frost country wide at just the wrong time, when the blossom was out, and alot of people reported no fruit this year.
  • pwwatson60pwwatson60 pevensey bay, east sussexPosts: 5
    thank you, 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,231
    Is the gap between the strands of net of the cage large enough to allow bees to get in?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pwwatson60pwwatson60 pevensey bay, east sussexPosts: 5
    yes the mesh is quite big squares, it also has a few gaps on top as small birds get in occasionally!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,809
    edited 18 October
    We did have a frost country wide at just the wrong time, when the blossom was out, and alot of people reported no fruit this year.
    I agree ... a lot of folk had poor fruit sets this year ... we were lucky, our back garden is sheltered whereas the front is in a real frost pocket. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,167
    I must admit it was the best year for my plums yet.They all flowered at once and then were suddenly gone and I wondered if we would get any, luckily it was a good time for bees so did pollinate. 
    The cherry was a different story lots of flower and fruit, which fell before ripening.