Forum home Fruit & veg

Quince Questions

Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 271
edited 18 October in Fruit & veg
Following up something @GWRS said about quinces:

GWRS said:
Widerbeast, hope shoulder gets better 
Went to allotment yesterday morning , amazing the amount of stuff we brought home after a couple of weeks away , including a bucket of tomatoes 🍅 , o/h has been making tomato chutney 
Also brought a bucket of Quince , best crop we have ever had , it makes fabulous jam 
Hopefully do a bit this afternoon in garden 

How long do quinces take before I get fruit?
And can I grow train as an espalier or similar up against the wall?

My parents used to have a quince, but I don't think I ever saw one. They also had a medlar, where I think you let the fruit rot on the bush, but I never saw one of those either.

Don't Owls and Pussycats live on quince?

They dined on mince, and slices of quince
Which they ate with a runcible spoon;

Thanks

Ferdinand
“Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,809
    It’s the shortage of runcible spoons that’s the problem @Ferdinand2000. I know these things ... I was once a Jumbly ... there are photographs ... somewhere 😒 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 271
    edited 18 October
    It’s the shortage of runcible spoons that’s the problem @Ferdinand2000. I know these things ... I was once a Jumbly ... there are photographs ... somewhere 😒 
    I always thought it was more that no one knew what one is.

It's like these nuclear particles.

Physicist to Government: "My equation says it exists. All I need now is £3 billion to build a machine to find it. Here's an invoice...".

They are probably everywhere, but since no one can recognise one it can't be proven.

I have seen claims that a runcible is a cross between a knife and a fork, but that is properly called a spork. And you can't coin words when they already exist. I say "runcible" is an adjective.

F
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,390
    Quince , had tree for several years , always had a few but this year was exceptional , however , I did give it a proper prune and cut the clematis , that was growing through it 
    Will do the same again this year , hears hoping we get another good crop next year 

• Quince are grafted onto apple stock and some are grafted onto dwarfing stock, which is the one I have. Mt tree makes about 3/4 ft of new growth each year and is growing as a freestanding tree which gives me plenty of exercise pruning it each year. There is no reason why a quince could not be grown as an espalier or fan but it will need a regular heavy prune each year to keep it under control Old trees can grow into very large trees so space might be an issue.
    I have managed to pick 9 quince this year, my best year ever so far in 12 years. I lose most of my blossom to the Spring gales we have in Cornwall so only late flowers seem to set fruit which hold.
    A couple of years ago I tried throwing  netting over the whole tree to reduce the effect of the wind but it didn't seem to make any difference. My garden is at quite high altitude and open to the SW predominant weather. I have seriously thought about cutting the quince down and trying something that doesn't mind non stop gales hammering it, as is happeneing today. The sight ofit in full flower has saved it so far.
    There are quite a few varieties of quince so if you have not yet acquired a tree it is worth googling quince to see if there is a one which particularly suits your area and soil etc. Make sure you do not confuse the fruting quince tree with the decorative Japanese Quince "chaenomalese?"[spelling?, sorry.]
    Medlars also grow into fairly large trees and yes, you are supposed to let the fruit "blett" or rot before using them to make a supposedly wonderful jam/cheese/preserve. As a child I  did try eating a bletted medlar raw. It was disgusting and put me off for ever, however last yearwhen I was offered some medlars to make a preserve I decided to give them another go. Unfortunately the offer never materialised due to the shut down. Maybe next year.
  • Thanks for that detailed reply.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,695
    My RHS guide to growing fruit says quince can be trained against a sunny, sheltered wall as a fan, but not an espalier. So short trunk with the branches trained to fan out, rather than bent horizontally - maybe the branches are too stiff for that. About 4 years I think, for viable fruit, maybe a bit longer in the UK. I planted a 2yr old 2 years ago and got three huge quinces off it this year and a couple of tiddlers. It’s a Vranja but no idea what rootstock it’s on as that kind of info is rarely given on labels here and the GCs are clueless!

They do need a fair amount of moisture at the roots to thrive, can be grown next to ponds or in ditches.
  • We have 2 quinces. One in the garden that has been growing for many years.
    This one started to loose leaves in the summer and the fruit would drop.
    We planted a different one in our small orchard 4 years ago. The fruit has been oustanding and we have to pick off many fruits so that the tree doesn't get too top heavy.
    Then the one in the garden (having been cut back 2 years ago) was in full flower again this year and agood crop.
    We also have a medlar. Great tree. Lovely flowers in the spring, fruit later in the autumn and then the great leaf colours.
    Both trees make make wonderful jellies, jams, bottled and wines.
    Great to have.