Forum home Problem solving

Lawn, greenhouse and slugs?

Morning

The lawn is covered in these small mounds of mud (you can see them at the base of the grass towards the back of the photo). Its like something is burrowing up or down or both? Assuming it's all the slugs that are causing the problem? They seem to be rampant all over it and have been demolishing the tomatoes in the greenhouse too, despite daily removal. 

Is this normal. Is there something we can do about them and all the mud mounds??

Thank you

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,027
    Look like worm casts, but the pic isn't very clear.

Slugs eat stuff. It's what they do unfortunately.  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,591
    The little mounds are probably worm casts (I can't see them clearly) , a good sign that your soil is healthy. You can wait for a dry day and then brush them into the grass if you like, otherwise just leave them alone. The slugs are a different issue. Up to you how you prefer to tackle them.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,070
    Not easy to see, but I think your 'mud mounds' are worm casts. Perfectly normal and indicate a healthy worm population. They can be brushed off when the grass is dry if you don't like the look of them, but they will get washed in and disappear again if you leave them.
    Slugs enjoy the wet weather and provide food for birds and hedgehogs. There are things you can do to protect individual plants if the slugs are causing a particular problem, often the trouble is more aesthetic than anything else.

• KmehKmeh Posts: 87
    Thanks for the replies.

Will the slugs do any damage to the lawn if we just leave them?

No  :)
    You always see them more readily on grass when it's wet. Easier for them to move around. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,591
    I've never heard of slugs eating grass. If they're on the surface of the lawn, I would leave them there so that the birds can get them.
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 568
    Always happy to see slugs on the lawn as it means they aren't damaging the veg. They're also running the gauntlet as Otis and Whitney will be along  for breakfast soon  ;)
    Biglad said:
    They're also running the gauntlet as Otis and Whitney will be along  for breakfast soon  ;)
     :D