Forum home Problem solving

container grown rhododendron

why are my two rododendrens starting to shed the lower leaves after turning yellow

• BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,289
    What type of soil did you use when putting them into the container? That would be my first question. 

Also it helps to know which type if Rhododendron it is, if its in sun or shade, what you are watering it with and how often etc. 
  • They are in the correct soil  and the plants are about 5 years old in the shade and flower beautifully each year as its been raining a lot I thought maybe they have been getting too much water and the drainage holes have got blocked but unfortunately the containers are far too heavy for me to lift and check underneath . Could this be the problem ?
  • InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 349
    Get someone to help you roll the pot onto its side and check the drainage. If it appears at all blocked, poke it with sharp stick to open it. On the other hand, after 5 years it may be pot bound. If you can see roots protruding from the bottom you will have to move it to a bigger pot!! Try taking some cuttings - not easy I'm afraid.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,150
    Have they ever had the soil refreshed? Potted plants need a lot of attention compared to those in the ground.  :)
    What soil are they in? Compost alone is no use.
    When you say lots of rain, it doesn't always mean that it's reaching the roots through the dense canopy. 
    All evergreens shed leaves as they produce new ones, so there may be nothing wrong at all. A photo would help. 
    Rhodos also aren't great in pots anyway, so it may simply be struggling, and the pot may contain little more than roots.  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....