Forum home Plants

Alliums in a pot?

AcuwellAcuwell Posts: 24
Can anyone please suggest a selection of Alliums that would grow well in a large pot?  Many thanks.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,025
    Any of them should do well as long as you have good drainage.  It comes down to personal taste.  Purple Sensation are one of the most widely grown.  Sphaerocephalon are one of the most popular with the bees in our garden.  There are also some nice white varieties that would look good mixed with the purple ones.

If budget is not a problem, Warmenhoven are the most renowned of the allium growers.  Although they are based in the Netherlands, I believe they do mail order. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,150
    The biggest drawback of potted alliums is the foliage. It often look quite tatty by the time they open up. If you can position them where other plants hides it a bit, that helps, or you can use some other plants round the edge to disguise it. 
    If it's for a statement pot, the latter is better. 
    I'd agree with @KeenOnGreen - most of them are fine in pots, so it's personal preference. The taller varieties will need support unless they're in a very sheltered position. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,025
    Oh yes @Fairygirl I had forgotten how awful the foliage looks after flowering.  @Acuwell
    Maybe you could grow them in the ground, and put something that has more attractive foliage in the pot?  We grow Eucomis Sparkling Burgundy in pots, as well as in the ground.  It has spectacular foliage colour, and the flowers are equally wonderful.  It's not hardy everywhere, but you could always move the pot to a sheltered spot in Winter.

• AcuwellAcuwell Posts: 24
    Thank you for the suggestion, looks like a great idea!