Forum home Plants

Plant ID

MarkE1984MarkE1984 Posts: 40
Hello,

I have some lovely pink flowers popping up in our border. Can anybody identify them for me as I would like to get some more.

Thanks

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,019
    Hesperantha, formerly Schizostylis.  A perennial from South Africa, prefers moist soil.  Also available in white and red.  That one's a lovely pink.
  • MarkE1984MarkE1984 Posts: 40
    Great thanks for the ID, its nice to have a bit of colour at the moment, so wanted to get a few more. I think a mix of red, white and pink will add some nice colour to the garden.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,019
    @MarkE1984  In my experience the red (which is the original species variety) out-competed the white and the pink.  If you are thinking of having all 3 colours, maybe consider planting them separately.  It grows quite prolifically if happy, so you can end up with lots, from just a few plants to start with.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,484
    Easy to grow from seed and quick as well, no special treatment just don’t prick out in the first year.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,027
    I'd agree with @KeenOnGreen. The red generally out competes the others, particularly the white, which is a pity.
    I really don't like the salmon pink one either, that seems to be everywhere round here. A colour I loathe in any plant.
    The red is good for a splash of colour though, especially with other autumn colours  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• MarkE1984MarkE1984 Posts: 40
    Thanks for the advice :smile: