Forum home Problem solving

Starting new borders

I’m starting a new border and I am wondering if I de-turf and turn the turf over and then add a pretty thick mulch of green chipped bark (I have it on tap) and leave this until spring, will it be a good starting point. I’m trying to do the bed for as little cost as I can but if I need to add anything it’s not the end of the world

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,019
    If you remove the turf, and then pile it up in a quiet corner of the garden, so that the grass is facing grass on each layer, it will rot down into some nice soil for you.  Better to mulch the bed with something that will give the soil some goodness, such as fresh garden compost or well-rotted manure.  The bark chipping won't add anything, and if the bed is empty, it won't even mulch any plants.  If you are worried about weeds coming up during the Winter, you could cover it in cardboard, or if funds permit, a weed suppressing membrane.

If you want to add bark chips, do so after you have planted, to help contain any moisture.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,027
    I'd agree with @KeenOnGreen. Better to stack it and add rotted manure or even just some decent compost just now, to beef up thte soil ready for your plants. You can then add it next year when it's rotted down, as the level in the beds/borders will drop too.  :)

The bark chips won't be beneficial at all at this stage. Do you mean they're fresh chippings when you say they're green ? 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Yes very fresh my neighbour is a tree surgeon. I thought it may rot a bit quicker with all the green within it! I was thinking of piling it up over winter then spread and add well rotted manure or compost on top but I haven’t used wood chips in the garden before (exception to path ways in previous garden) 
    I'd keep the wood chips for something else - round established shrubs etc.
    They won't be any use on the new bed, unless you put a layer of something down, as @KeenOnGreen describes, and put them on top just to keep the place tidy until spring  :)

• I think I shall go on the hunt for some rotted manure and give that a go 😁 thank you both for advice, last thing I want to do is be at square one next year 🤣
    You'll get a good start with that  :)