Forum home Problem solving

Help needed pl - waterlogged ex-fountain - what can I do with it?

Hi everyone, I posted on here a few days ago about a waterlogged palm tree that I had planted in an old disused fountain and got some great advice from @Fairygirl and @philippasmith2.  I've now salvaged the palm tree but need some suggestions as to what to do with the ex-fountain. It's about 2.5 ft by 2.5 ft and no drainage at all.  I'm not keen on a  pond due to dogs and children.  A bog garden was suggested but I'm not sure if anything could survive in this as it is now like a swamp with the water pooling on top of the soil. I can't add drainage holes as it's concrete.  

Any suggestions please?

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,025
    Are you sure you can't drill some drainage holes, or smash some in?  Concrete can be drilled, if you have the correct drill and drill bit.  We had a concrete fountain in our front garden (put in by the previous owner).  The fountain already had a hole in the base, so we moved it to our back garden, sunk it into the ground, and planted it up.  I could see yours making a wonderful planter.

Before

During

After (with a backlit Calamagrostis Brachytricha).  

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,943
    If you're not bothered about keeping it, you could try offering it on Freecycle or similar. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,150
    I think it's fixed down @AnniD - if my memory is correct.
    You could certainly drill holes round the base - about an inch or so up from the bottom, as @KeenOnGreen says. Concrete is fairly easy to put holes in.
    That would allow you to use it as as bog garden.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,943
    Oops ! Could make it a bit difficult then 😊. In that case, the bog garden is a good idea.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,137
      I'm not keen on a  pond due to dogs and children.  A bog garden was suggested but I'm not sure if anything could survive in this as it is now like a swamp with the water pooling on top of the soil. I can't add drainage holes as it's concrete.  

Any suggestions please?

Not sure why a dog would be a problem but for the children..........you can get metal grids to fix into the pond which I understand is designed to stop children falling in.  The grid itself would not need to be that visible once you planted up with surface covering.
    You could still have a bog garden if you chose your plants carefully - enough soil in there would do the trick I'd think.  I can think offhand Cyperus ( tall and spreading ) would fill that in a couple of years.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,150
    That's what I would do @philippasmith2. For something that small, it would be easy enough to get a very pretty grid which can be removed for tending plants etc, and it becomes part of the whole structure too.  Safe for wildlife that can get in and out [frogs etc]  and safe for anything bigger as they can't fall in and struggle to get back out - birds, hedgehogs etc. 

You can even make something. I've done that with the little lily pond I created earlier this year, although mine is a simple rectangle, so a bit easier.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,084
    I would use it as a fountain - you just need a pump. Have a grill if needed or half-fill with rocks so that there is no danger and makes a nice sound.

I'm not convinced that ponds and fountains are the apocalyptic danger people seem to think they are. People seemed to have managed pretty fine through most  of human existence.