Forum home Plants

I need to move a Yucca

Can anyone tell me the best time of year to move a Yucca?  It currently (17 October 2020) has one flower spike.  
See image below.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,110
    Depends whether you would prefer to let the flower spike open fully and wait til Spring or whether you need to actually move it now ?
    If you have the new planting area well prepared now it is possible you could move it with the flower spike intact.  
    It looks to be a large plant - have you had a poke round to see if you can lift it with the root ball intact ( more or less anyway ).
    Finally, it depends on your location/climate.  Autumn is often the best time to move plants as the soil is still reasonably warm and gives plants time to establish before the winter weather hits.
    In a nutshell, I'd say it is up to you to decide which would be best for you and the Yucca :)
  • Thanks philippasmith. 
    My location is about a mile from the sea close to the Hampshire / Dorset border. 
    The Yucca I wish to move is the smaller of the two Yuccas I have.  The bigger one, the source of a cutting that became the smaller one, has 7 flower spikes this year but it really has outgrown its location and is crushing the blue flowered Hibiscus behind it.  See picture below:
    I now understand that Hibiscuses are best pruned in the spring so as both Yuccas are close to them I think I will move the smaller Yucca in the spring and possibly try pruning the bigger one at the same time.