Forum home Plants

overwintering perennials

Hi I'm a very new gardener and need some advice.  I have successfully grown on a range of perennials purchased as tiny tiny  plugs in August.  They are now mostly in 13cms pots ( some are smaller) Should i plant out now or overwinter in my unheated greenhouse?  I live in the Midlands, my garden is fairly sheltered.  List of plants - doronicum, echinacea, gaillardia, guara, leucanthemum, verbena, achillea, coreopsis delphinium dianthus and foxgloves.  I would really appreciate some advice.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,027
    If they're filling those pots, and you have a suitable border etc for them to go in, you could probably plant them out. It really depends on conditions though. Most of those are completely hardy, especially things like foxgloves, achillea and dianthus. I would certainly plant those out here, but some of the others like the gaillardia for example, aren't always reliably hardy perennials, so it would depend on the variety. Best to check the finer details on each variety you have.   :)

I would wait and plant out next year, if they're only just into that size of pot. They probably don't need a greenhouse though - just a sheltered spot against a house wall or similar, to keep them out of very wet weather if you get that.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 553
    You should plant out the Doronicum, and Foxgloves, as they will flower in Springtime. Depending on how big the Leucanthemum,Achillea, they too could be planted out. As Fairygirl says, the  other plants may be a little tender if they haven't been hardened off.( What part of the country are you in?)
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • Thanks for the advice.  I am in Worcestershire in the Midlands.
    Yes - most of the 'daisy' plants are hardy, so it's just a judgement call.  :)
    If the Verbena is bonariensis, as opposed to the annual, that's fairly tough too, although if you're area is colder/wetter, it would benefit from a bit of shelter. They can be borderline hardy here.
    If in doubt, tuck them up a bit, and wait  :)

• Thanks for all the advice. The verbena is hardy.  I'm going to plant out the ones you've suggested as they are quite big and leave the others to overwinter.  I'm learning more each day and loving it!

If you have several of each plant, you can always experiment - plant some, and keep some. It's a good way to work out your general conditions  :)