Forum home Problem solving

Is this Tradescantia or ID if possible?

tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 578
I bought this plant in March and have had it beside my pond this summer.  Now in the conservatory for the duration of winter.

Is it a Tradescantia as it requires little water or care (I was told)?
Have I overwatered it, thus the brown middle?

I have it sitting in a pot that is sitting on a bed of stones in a decorative planter.  So it can drink whenever it gets thirsty!  No flowers as yet.

Your opinions appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Tui
A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,404
    The stems say some form of Trad but there are a lot of them :)
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 578
    @philippasmith2   Thank you for comment, Philippa.  ti was quite small when I bought it - but by the look of it, I knew it would be fast growing.  Yes, it has "branched out" somewhat since March!

• Kate 7Kate 7 Posts: 96
    Callissia elegans?
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 578
    Thank you @Kate 7 because I googled C. Elegans (which is striped whereas mine isn't) and found Tradscantia Fluminensis which seems to be about what I have.  Plain leaves.  I bought to sit on the side of the pond and dangle down but now it has gone brown in the middle and looks ghastly.  Probably got too much water.  I may get brave and cut it back to nothing and let it grow again.
    Have a good afternoon.
    Tui

• Kate 7Kate 7 Posts: 96
    The Callisia is only variegated if you get the variegated form. it looks quite different from Tradescantia fluminensis which has much larger leaves and is an altogether bulkier plant.