Forum home Problem solving

rotting quince

Hi, 
every year I get beautiful quince growing, however at least half start to root on the tree well before they are ready to pick. This didn't used to happen but has happened every summer for the past 2-3 years.
 any ideas as to why? and how I can prevent it from happening every year?

I have attached a picture for you to see 

Thank you in advance :)

Sophie

• Mike AllenMike Allen Posts: 137
    Is that some kind of lichen on the tree.  If so.  This could be your problem.  It's not suggesting your tree is dying, but certain moisture problems exist.  My suggestion, tend to correct pruning and feeding, also take alook at the base of the plant.  Is it becoming boggy?  Alternative to this is.  Pick your fruits before they rot.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,809
    Quince are like pears ... they should be picked and ripened off the tree otherwise they rot. 

A bowl of quince ripening in a room gives a beautiful perfume. 

Even when ripe Quince never become tender enough to eat fresh.

They need cooking to make a jelly or membrillo, or used to flavour a roasting pheasant or guinea fowl 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/quince
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,484
    I didn’t think damp was the cause of lichen on trees,  it’s just a sign of clean pure air. 
    Or am I wrong? 
    I agree with Dove, thy need picking sooner, I had a beautiful quince tree when I lived in Kent, a lady along the road you to have them every year for jelly,  this has taken me right back to those times, she was such a dear,  Mrs Woodd with a double D. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,731
    Yes, harvest and ripen them off the tree.  It is probably birds pecking them to see if they are ripe which is letting in the rot.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,695
    edited 16 October
    We get lots of lichen on our trees in our clean mountain air, which they need, so you are not wrong there @Lyn, plus some moisture, to thrive. If it’s too damp and boggy I think you would be more likely to be seeing moss and algae as well. Quince trees like a fair amount of moisture at the roots, they are often planted in ditches here and grow wild on river banks. They do like their heads in the sun to start the ripening process, but I agree with others, you need to pick them to ripen them off properly. Quince Tarte Tatin is our favourite 😋  
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,027
    I'd agree with @Nollie. Clean air is needed for lichens, and dampness is perfect for mosses etc, so you can have both in the same area.

I love lichen, and we have loads of it here.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Agree. Our quinces if not collected from the tree early then they will start to rot.
    However these can still be used to make jelly/jam/wine.
    The perfume is wonderful.
    Wonderful fruit tree.
  • Mike AllenMike Allen Posts: 137
    I respect the views of members.  However, if I may.  Lichen will grow on the sides, branches etc of trees, irrespective of their locality and general conditions.  Having worked in some,'Ancient woodlands'  Many trees of varying ages can be found, laden with various forme of lichen.. Some areas visited.  A torch is at times required.  So.  With respect comments relating to 'purity of air, may not be totally correct.

I admit.  I am not over familiar with growing quince.  My obsrevation and forward suggestions wre given in good faith.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,027
    Woodlands often have clean air, and clean air isn't just found in the open countryside or woodland, as @Nollie says. 
    Lichen is found in all sorts of places. On rocks on tops of hills for example, as well as all the wet lower areas. There are thousands of types. 
    You're labouring a point unnecessarily and confusing people @Mike Allen. The query by @Lyn was concerning dampness causing the lichen. It doesn't, is the answer. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,695
    The question was, in any case, about how to stop quinces rotting before they ripen, not the growth preferences of lichen, which, we are just saying, is not the problem here, Mike, nor is damp feet. The answer is, as everyone else also says, they don’t fully ripen on the tree, pick them, leave them to ripen, then cook.

If you watched Gardener’s World last night you will see at the beginning of the programme that Monty Don has his planted in his damp garden next to a pond 😊