Forum home Problem solving

lawn damage by birds

How do I stop it

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,027
    Need more info, and a pic if possible.
    It's common for crows/magpies/starlings  to try and retrieve leather jackets from lawns at this time of year. They're the offspring of crane flies and damage grass roots, so they're actually doing a favour.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,505
    What do you mean by damage davidcowan1888

Lawns are part of nature and provide food and comfort to all manner of creatures that in turn lift our spirits.

You can add native flowers to grow through the grass and leave some areas cut to a height of 6 inches.

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
    He never came back with any further info @NewBoy2 so not much anyone can do. 

Fairygirl 

I cant really imagine the situation how the poster would look  at his lawn and then log into GW trying to change nature. :/
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,070
    @NewBoy2: We're all trying to change nature, even those of us who are trying to conserve it!
    We all try to grow plants that don't grow naturally in our plots and get rid of ones that do. We all dislike certain creatures and discourage them or even kill them. We alter the natural soil, alter landscapes and change the natural water levels and we change the times plants flower and prevent them setting seeds. It's what gardeners do!

I don't understand your point @NewBoy2.
    As @Buttercupdays says - all gardens are artificial, so we're just trying to make them the way we would like. 
    There isn't enough info from the OP, and despite asking - there hasn't been any more, so we can only guess the problem, or we can just not bother answering at all. 
    I'm simply trying to help and offer the possible reason, as it's a pretty common one at this time of year.  :)

Buttercupdays     Fairygirl

Agree...........apologies required.

:/ 

• You can pull black or white threads # 10 around the perimeter of the lawn. Birds are intimidated by these colors.
    Make a "cage" over the field of thin fishing line, stretching it along and across the lawn with a distance between rows of 5 cm
    What field @williamlSSSzz-z? Fishing line? 
    Very odd response. Unless we're provided with more info by the OP [who seems to have disappeared] we don't even know there's a problem as such. It could simply be the crows/magpies, which isn't even a problem.  :)

No need to apologise @NewBoy2. Simple misunderstanding  :)