Forum home Problem solving

Drainpipe/Rats/Bait

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,143
What is the best size drainpipe (diameter and length) for putting bait in for rats?
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,997
    I believe the regulations say that you must use a purpose built rat trap with bait in it so that other animals/pets/birds/children can't access it. I might be wrong though!  
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,847
    I think Lizzie is correct. Did quite a bit of research when we had a rat problem in the garden last year and I think everything said that bait must be in a locked container.

I found the bait blocks better. My neighbour was using grains which ended up all over the path ready for any bird or hedgehog to eat or cat / dog to walk in.

Bait blocks are suspended on metal rods inside the bait box and the rat gnaws at them inside the box. Very effective and no spilt poison.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,143
    edited 15 October
    The bait boxes I have are too big for where I want to put them and I always have a dreadful job trying to get them open.
    I only use the bait blocks not grain.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,847
    How would you prevent bait blocks being dragged out of the pipe and being discarded in the open where they could be accessed by birds / other animals or children? You need to secure them in the pipe somehow.

With a bait box you could disable the locking device if you find them really difficult (it's just bit of a knack to use them). You could then make your own simpler 'lock' - perhaps just some strong wire threaded through or round - or a heavy brick on top - anything which stops the lid being accidentally blown or knocked open.

The diameter of the access holes on my boxes are about 1.25" 
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,504
    I know that feral rats are not the same as pet rats, but as the same species, they must have the same “personalities”, I am pretty sure.

Is there no way that you could remove the reason for the rats to be coming into your garden/property and thereby removing the need to do them in?

My local animal rescue charity had a photo competition to raise funds during these difficult times, and one of the winning photos was this.

I don’t know about you, but I couldn’t lay poison down to kill a creature with that much character.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,143
    Topbird said:
    How would you prevent bait blocks being dragged out of the pipe and being discarded in the open where they could be accessed by birds / other animals or children? You need to secure them in the pipe somehow.
    I was thinking of threading the bait block on a piece of garden wire and putting it through the pipe.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,997
    I think that would probably work well enough. As Topbird says, the access holes in the bait boxes are quite small so your drainpipes could be as well. Good luck, we also have an ongoing problem re rats because of our bird feeders so I know the frustrations. 
  • Kate 7Kate 7 Posts: 96
    We get rats, because of birdfeeders and compost bins.  I doubt that poison will dent the numbers much.
    I have found that hot chilli powder in their runs deters them - at least it keeps them away from the house.